The Department of German at Queen Mary is recognised for its excellence in teaching and research, and its strong student support. Most of our classes are small-sized and are based on discussions and high student participation. To enhance the teaching and learning experience, we encourage the use of the latest technology, with which our teaching rooms and language labs are equipped.
To learn more about studying German at Queen Mary, watch this video, produced by our students!
Language proficiency paths
As a student at Queen Mary, you can study German at four different levels depending on your proficiency. In addition to our regular programme for post A-level students (Post A-Level Path), we offer intensive language courses for students without any previous knowledge of German (Ab-Initio Path) and for those who have only a GCSE in German (Intensive Path). We also developed special language provision tailored to the needs of near-native and native speakers of German.
Modules in Linguistics, Literature and Culture Studies
We are proud to offer a great range of modules which reflect the diversity of research interests of our staff. We believe that studying the German language through its respective literatures (including Austrian and Swiss) and thought deepens and refines our understanding of both and contributes to the meaningful mediation between cultures. For those interested in the study of linguistics and its practical application, we offer a linguistic path including a range of modules on the study of the German language in its historical, cultural, social and teaching context. In addition, students can choose from a range of options focusing on contemporary cultural, social, political and business-related aspects of German-speaking countries.
Undergraduate degree programmes
The links below will take you to the main Queen Mary website for more details
- German R201 BA/Ger4 (four years)
- French and German RR21 BA/FrGe4 (four years)
- German and Hispanic Studies RR24 BA/GHS (four years)
- German and Russian RR27 BA/Ger/Rus (four years)
- German with Business Management R2N1 BA/GeBS4 (four years)
- Film Studies and German RW26 BA/FSGe (four years)
- German and Linguistics RQ21 BA/GeLin4 (four years)
- German and Comparative Literature QR22 BA/GerCL (four years)
- German and Drama WR42 BA/GeDr4 (four years)
- English and German RQ23 BA/EngGe4 (four years)
- History and German VR12 BA/HiGer (four years)
- German and Politics LR22 BA/GePol4 (four years)
For more information about undergraduate study in the School, please contact:
Undergraduate Admissions Administrator
Tel: +44 20 7882 8331